During my first year at University, I studied the C++ Programing language and one of the first projects I got tasked with was to build an Arduino Uno Project. There were many cool things to choose from but I decided to build something practical which can be used around the house. I, therefore, decided to build a digital thermometer. The full source code is now available on Github.
How did I find the project?
Being new to C++ I quickly learned the basics using online tutorials and books which enabled me to build up a mini portfolio of C++ Projects. Once I got used to programming in C++ I ordered my Arduino Uno and started building smaller projects using the useful book it came with. I also found some cool projects on YouTube. Building mini-projects enabled me to gain the experience and practice I needed to build the final project.
Overall I found the project to be good fun, but that’s not to say I didn’t face any issues since I had a few components fail on me, this is discussed below. However, apart from those issues, I can honestly say that the project was a success as I learned a lot about how software interacts with hardware.
It wouldn’t be fun if I didn’t face any issues! One of the first issues I faced included the original Breadboard failing, luckily I was able to get a replacement from the seller but strangely enough, that was dead on arrival. Luckily I was able to test using a few kits provided by the University. In the end, I just purchased a third party one on Amazon and it worked a treat. The second issue I faced was the LCD screen failing to display properly, the fault was intermittent as sometimes it displayed properly and sometimes letters were missing. That could have been caused by the third- Breadboard.